Adapted from Domestic Sluttery (Dec 2012)
Makes: 30 squares
Cooking time: 20-30 mins, plus 2 hours to cool
225g butter (salted, or add a pinch of salt to unsalted)
450g caster sugar
One tin condensed milk (397g)
6 mince pies (optional: + 2 tablespoons mincemeat)
1. Grease a roasting tray (or similar size tray) and set aside. Bash up the mince pies with a spoon - very satisfying!
2. Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat then add the sugar. Stir until it's mixed well then add the condensed milk.
3. Stir the mixture for 10 minutes, until it just starts to bubble.
4. As it bubbles away stir thoroughly for another 10-15 minutes. It should gradually turn a lovely golden brown colour. Once the mixture hits 115 C/240 F, or has been boiling for 10 minutes (and you judge it looks the right colour) take the pan off the heat. At this point the fudge is very viscous and as you stir it will follow the spoon around the pan in a big lump!
5. Mix in the mince pie bits (and extra mincemeat if you are adding it) as quickly as possible. Stir until everything is coated in fudge then pour into the roasting tray and press down until even.
6. Leave to cool for a couple of hours then cut into squares.