Makes: 12 cakes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
200g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
40g granulated sugar
100g candied orange and lemon peel (I got mine from Tesco)
1 medium egg
2 clementines (zested and juiced)
2 tablespoons demerara sugar for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut the butter into squares then add this to the dry ingredients. Rub in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add the granulated sugar and candied peel to the bowl and mix in well.
4. Beat the egg together with the clementine rind and 3-4 tablespoons of juice. Drizzle this over the dry mixture and stir to combine. The mixture should be fairly stiff but not too dry. Add another tablespoon of clementine juice if necessary.
5. Shape the mixture into 12 rough heaps on the baking tray then sprinkle generously with demerara sugar. Bake for 15 minutes, then leave them to cool on the tray for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.